The Perfect Place to Learn
At Southeastern Guide Dogs, we’re working hard on behalf of our extraordinary dogs, transforming lives. Our employees, volunteers, and interns share our mission mindset, where service and caring are woven into our culture.
Southeastern Guide Dogs offers a variety of internship/externship opportunities for high school graduates who are currently enrolled in a college, university, or technical center degree program. Our internship positions fall within these functional areas:
- Genetics and Reproduction: for students interested in furthering their knowledge in canine reproduction, breeding management, basic genetics, behavior, and care.
- Veterinary Technician: for students enrolled in a veterinary technician program
- Whelping and Neonatal Care: for students interested in furthering their knowledge in canine neonatology, breeding, and general care/husbandry skills.
How to apply
Click button below to apply online.
Questions should be emailed to Lisa O’Kane, Volunteer Services Director
Frequently Asked Questions
Please note that applications for internships are accepted year-round however the following minimum requirements are in effect:
- High School Graduate or College student with independent transportation to our Palmetto campus.
- Able to bend, sit and stand for at least 30 minutes at a time.
- Able to lift up to 40lbs unassisted.
- Able to commit to a minimum of 10 hours per week for a minimum of 6 weeks.
- Able to work weekends and holidays.
It is often financially impractical for non-local residents to apply for internship experiences unless they are able to secure nearby lodging. Unfortunately we are unable to provide accommodation or assistance in locating accommodation for interns.