Get Ready for a Life Unleashed
For more information and to request an application for our Youth Guide Dog program, please email Katie Perez or call 941.479.6598 to learn more.
Teens—find out what a guide dog can mean for you. Teens and parents, we offer our two-day Guide Dog Camp to help you make this important decision about whether you are ready for a guide dog.
Do you want more independence? If you’re a mature teen with vision loss, you might be ready for a guide dog before you finish high school.
We’ve created a special, no-cost guide dog program for responsible teens like you. If you are accepted into our program, we’ll match you with a highly-trained guide dog. Then for about two weeks, our certified trainer will work with you in your home and school environment. You’ll learn how to handle your dog, including obedience, navigation skills, and more. Your trainer is available to teach school staff and students proper guide dog etiquette. After your training, our Alumni Support team will follow up with assistance for life.
For teens like you who are ready, navigating with a guide dog allows you to experience new freedom and confidence, even before venturing out on your own.
Teens ages 15–17 who:
• Are legally blind
• Have parent/guardian approval, and who agree to financially care for the dog after completion of training
• Have completed orientation and mobility (O&M) training
• Are physically fit and capable of handling a large-breed dog
• Maintain passing school grades for the most recent school year
• Live in a safe and stable home environment for a guide dog, with no more than two other dogs
• Reside in the continental U.S.
Get Started Today – Don’t wait for freedom—get started today.